Call Today 702.757.7777
Posted On April 20, 2017
What to do if you missed the 2016 tax deadline

What to do if you missed the 2016 tax deadline

We always have the best intentions to meet deadlines, particularly ones related to taxes, but sometimes life gets in the way.

If this happened to you with regard to your 2016 tax returns, don’t panic. Whether you are receiving a refund or owe taxes, you have options.

Below are some considerations and general advice for those who have not filed tax forms for 2016:

  • File your taxes as soon as possible. If you owe money, this will help you avoid interest and late payment penalties. If you are due a refund, there is no penalty for late filing.
  • You can file your taxes online for free. If you make less than $64,000 you can use free software. If you make more than $64,000 you can use fillable forms on the IRS website.
  • If you are due a refund you risk losing it if you don’t file.
  • Even if you aren’t required to file, you still may qualify for a refund. You have three years from the filing due date to obtain refunds for taxes withheld from wages or for tax credits.
  • If you cannot pay what you owe in full, file your tax forms and pay what you can. Options for payment plans, delaying payment or offers in compromise are on the IRS website.
  • If you need more time to pay what you owe, you can sign an online payment agreement or file Form 9465.

If you need help with any tax-filing issues, or you are facing enforcement or collections actions, contact an experienced tax attorney.