Posted On February 27, 2018
Tips for Nevada taxpayers with income from multiple states

Tips for Nevada taxpayers with income from multiple states

One point of confusion for many tax payers is how to handle their taxes if their work is located in a different state than where they live. The specifics of your work arrangement—as well as state-specific laws—determine how to proceed. Today we examine the various geographic scenarios that affect your tax filing process if you live in Nevada.

Nevada is one of seven U.S. states that do not have a state income tax. Therefore, the tax requirements when other states become involved are a bit unique:

You live and work in separate states.

Normally, if you live in one state and work in another, you would need to file a tax return (resident or nonresident) for each state. However, Nevada’s lack of state income tax negates part of this requirement.

If you live in Nevada and commute to Arizona for work, for example, then you will need to file a nonresident tax return for the state of Arizona. If you live in Arizona and work in Nevada, though, you would need to file a resident tax return for Arizona.

You work remotely for a company in another state.

If you live and work in Nevada for a company that is based in New York, this does not create a situation in which you owe taxes in New York. You do not have to file any state income tax return.

You moved to another state mid-way through the year.

If you lived in California and moved to Nevada on October 1, then you will have to determine how much income you earned in California for the first nine months of the year. You will need to file a part-year resident state tax return for that state.

Filing your tax return when multiple states are involved can be complicated. An experienced tax attorney can help simplify the process.